Topics

Greatest Miracle by Dennis Doughty, minister Tunica, Missssippi

Here is this weeks article.  Have a good weekend. -d

“Inscriptions;”

The Greatest Miracle

In many ways the raising of Lazarus was Jesus’ greatest miracle (John 11). Yes, he had raised the dead before.  There was the widow’s son, but that had happened in the obscure village of Nain in Galilee.  Now in Bethany Jesus brings back from the dead a well-known and respected man just two miles from Jerusalem’s city gates. He does so before a large crowd of Judeans, and in dramatic fashion of a man dead four days!

The news of this miracle reached Jerusalem like a wild fire coming over Olive’s brow; spreading from house to house, shop to shop, and tongue to tongue. It captured the attention of believers and skeptics alike.  It was devastating news to Caiaphas the High Priest, and his group of Pharisees. Like Pharaoh of old, this great miracle only hardened their hearts and strengthened their resolve to put Jesus to death (Jn 11:53)!

It is amazing that men could hear this news from eye-witness accounts, and not be amazed, and hopeful. “If Jesus could raise Lazarus, then he could raise me from the dead!” I would think.  Jesus had told Martha, “I am the resurrection and the life…whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?” (Jn. 11: 26.) Caiaphas and the Pharisees didn’t. Do you?

Dennis Doughty